Learn how to plan and manage governmental revenue.
Revenue Administration will familiarize you with the sources of governmental revenue, the policies governments use to generate revenue, and how the funds are administered. This is an online, self-study course developed by the University of Georgia.
Revenue Administration will familiarize you with the types of revenues that governments typically generate. You will also learn the history of types of revenues. In addition, you will learn about current trends in governmental revenue administration. As you progress through each of the lessons, you will be challenged with self-test questions and interactive exercises. Online consultations with a financial professional can be scheduled on request.
In 9 lessons, you will learn:
- Four trends in the revenue structures of local governments
- The components of a well-conceived revenue policy
- The property tax cycle and its key players
- How to calculate the millage rate and apply it to a tax digest
- How to strengthen the collection of property taxes
- How to establish a fee policy and use fee pricing methodologies
- Understanding licenses, permits, regulatory fees, and impact fees
- The theoretical concept of intergovernmental revenues
- How to differentiate between the different types of intergovernmental revenues
- The various forms of fines and forfeiture revenues
- Methods of generating revenue from investment income
- The different collection methods and collection strategies available
- How to determine the best revenue sources to fund a new government service
Who Should Attend?
- Local government finance professionals and paraprofessionals who want to enhance their career skills and professional development opportunities.
- Local government employees who seek to meet requirements of their state’s Local Government Finance Officer Certification Program.
- Professionals with private sector experience who want to gain knowledge of governmental revenue administration.
- Accounting professionals preparing for the CPA exam or seeking continuing professional education.
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course’s required online quizzes and exercises within 30 days of receiving the course URL, username and password information.
- To complete this course, you will read the lessons and complete each lesson's exercises and quizzes. At the conclusion of the final lesson, you must also successfully complete an online final examination with a score of 70% or better.
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, “How Does Revenue Administration Work?” and “Frequently Asked Questions.”
$229 — Residents of Georgia
$269 — Non-residents of Georgia
$50 — One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant.)
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student for a fee of $50; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to thirty (30) days from the transfer date to complete the course. A course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50 (US). Written requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Georgia will award 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 12 Continuing Education units (CEs) upon successful completion of Revenue Administration.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request.
Certification or Licensure Information:
This course meets a Level II core course requirement in the Local Finance Officer Certification Program for local government personnel in the State of Georgia.