This six-session course focuses on how to teach non-native English speakers to modify their accents in order to be more effective and comfortable in social and professional ventures.
Format: Classroom / Online
Hours: 30 hours / 3.0 CEUs
Where: UGA's Gwinnett Campus
The course is designed for ESL teachers, EFL teachers, and those who want to concentrate on the field of accent reduction. The course is taught by instructors of the Global TESOL Certificate Program and consists of 30 hours of instruction, including six hours of online work.
You will learn:
- How to teach the specific patterns of American English
- How to create exercises for your students to gain increased skills in intonation, pitch, stress, and rhythm for a more natural speech pattern
- How to use the IPA for teaching pronunciation
- How to teach appreciation for dialectical and colloquial flavor
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be able to:
- Better understand challenges of first language overlay in second language pronunciation
- Use linguistic information related to the sound system of North American English to teach accent reduction exercises
- Teach appreciation for the variety and flavors of accents and dialects
- Teach listening skills for distinguishing sounds
- Teach exercises that polish presentation techniques
- Teach exercises that increase conversation lucidity
Who Should Attend?
- ESL and EFL Teachers
- Graduates of the Global TESOL Certificate program
- Instructors who want to concentrate on the field of accent reduction
30 hours, 3.0 CEU's
Visit the University of Georgia CEU policies for more details.