Enhance your career! Become a certified Spanish/English legal interpreter.
The Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate is a 30-hour training program for bilingual individuals who speak English and Spanish and work in the legal field or in a court system. This program prepares you for the State Court Interpretation Certification Test so you can assist Spanish-speaking people who come before the Courts.
The program covers:
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Legal interpreting terminology in English and Spanish
- Spanish/English linguistics skills
- Analysis of the legal environment and issues regarding Latinos/Hispanics
- Development of integrated interpreter skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of the Latino/Hispanic community.
Job Outlook: According to the U.S. Department of Labor, interpreters and translations can expect much faster than average employment growth over the next decade due to the increase in the number of foreign language speakers in the United States and the broadening of international ties.
Who Should Attend?
- Paralegals, administrative assistants, front office staff, receptionists, social workers, etc. who are bilingual in English and Spanish
- Interpreters and translators currently employed in the legal field or court systems
- Independent interpreters
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate Program
- Individuals seeking employment in the legal field or in court systems
- Individuals seeking their first professional interpreting certificate
February 8, 2014 – March 8, 2014
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
3.0 CEUs awarded/ Certificate of Program Completion
Timely completion of assignments is required including the successful completion of written and oral assignments. Your attendance is required at all five sessions in order for you to receive your "Certificate of Completion."
The State of Georgia test is a separate process, time and fee. The University of Georgia program is a preparatory program only.