AP® Summer Institutes for Teachers will provide you with the content and resources you need to lead a successful AP® course at your school. These intensive workshops will familiarize you with subject-specific AP® standards, course content and teaching methods, and will help you identify the skills and knowledge the exam will assess, so you can better prepare your students. You will have the chance to develop or tweak your syllabi and lesson plans, and learn new strategies for teaching students at beginning and intermediate levels. This is a wonderful opportunity to exchange ideas and information with your peers, and to become a member of an engaged and diverse learning community.
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to each participant who meets the completion requirements, and all workshops are approved for 3.0 PLUs from the Georgia Department of Education. Workshops are appropriate for both new and experienced teachers.
Conference Check-in will take place on Monday evening, with a late check-in period early Tuesday morning. Classes will run Tuesday-Friday, from 8am-5pm each day. See the tentative conference schedule. A more detailed schedule will be emailed to you several weeks before your conference begins.
Week 1: Monday, June 16 – Friday, June 20, 2014 –
- Comparative Government & Politics
- English Language & Composition (also offered in Week 3)
- English Literature & Composition
- European History**
- Human Geography
- Physics 1 & 2* (also offered in Week 2) – Full! Register to be added to the waiting list!
- U.S. Government and Politics
- U.S. History*
Week 2: Monday, June 23 – Friday, June 27, 2014 –
- Chemistry (also offered in Week 3)
- Environmental Science
- Physics 1 & 2* (also offered in Week 1)
Week 3: Monday, July 7 – Friday, July 11, 2014 –
- Calculus AB
- Calculus BC
- Chemistry (also offered in Week 2)
- English Language & Composition (also offered in Week 1)
- French Language & Culture
- German Language & Culture
- Macro/Microeconomics (combined course)
- Spanish Language & Culture
- U.S. History*
- World History
* AP® Physics 1 & 2 and AP® U.S. History have been redesigned and new exams will be administered in May 2015. Instructors are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions to prepare for the changes and receive new materials.
**AP® European History is being redesigned for 2015-16. This summer, 20 percent of the time spent in this workshop will be devoted to understanding the new curriculum framework and previewing the redesigned course. Instructors are encouraged to attend this session to prepare for the transition.
Program fees include instruction by a College Board endorsed consultant, all instructional materials, breakfast & lunch (T-F), and on-campus parking. Lodging is not included.
- $699 for registrations received on or before May 23, 2014
- $749 for registrations received after May 23, 2014
- additional hotel fees will apply if you stay overnight (see details below)
Financial support may be available for teachers from schools that serve minority, low-income or rural students who have been traditionally underrepresented in AP courses. Grant applications are available from the College Board. The deadline for applications is March 1st.
Hotel rooms are not included in the cost of the program, but can be reserved for an additional fee. Prices range from $99-$129 per night, depending on hotel and room type. You will be given the opportunity to reserve a room when you register for the Institute online or by phone. A credit card is required to guarantee the room, but will not be charged when you make your reservation. See the list below to determine what options are available for the week you are attending the Summer Institute.
Week 1: June 16-20
A special block of hotel rooms is being held at the Georgia Center Hotel for attendees until 5pm on May 19, 2014. Book your room when you register, or call 1-800-884-1381 and be sure to mention you are with APSI.
Week 2: June 23-27
A special block of hotel rooms will be held at the Holiday Inn Athens-University Area hotel for APSI attendees until 5pm on May 30th. Call the Holiday Inn at 706-549-4433 and mention you are with UGA’s Advanced Placement Summer Institute to book your room.
Week 3: July 7-11
A special block of hotel rooms is being held at the Georgia Center Hotel for attendees until 5pm on June 9, 2014. Book your room when you register, or call 1-800-884-1381 and be sure to mention you are with APSI.
To allow us to order the correct amount of materials, please register no later than the deadlines listed below. We will accept enrollments after these dates if space is available, but participants are not guaranteed course materials when they arrive at the Institute.
- Week 1: register by May 30, 2014
- Week 2: register by June 6, 2014
- Week 3: register by June 20, 2014
(1) Cancellations received on or before the deadlines listed below will be refunded, minus a $50 processing fee. No refunds will be issued thereafter, though school systems may substitute another teacher for a paid participant in the same course.
- Week 1 cancellation deadline: Friday, May 30, 2014 at 5pm ET
- Week 2 cancellation deadline: Friday, June 6, 2014 at 5pm ET
- Week 3 cancellation deadline: Friday, June 20, 2014 at 5pm ET
(2) To change or cancel your registration, call 706-542-3537, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm ET.
(3) Most courses require a minimum enrollment of 10 participants. Courses with insufficient enrollment will be addressed on or before June 4, 2014. Participants will be notified by email if their course has low enrollment and will be advised of the action being taken.
(4) If a course is cancelled, participants will be notified by email, and refunds will be processed and submitted to the individual or school who paid the registration fee. The Georgia Center will not be responsible for any charges related to travel or other personal expenses.
If you require special services or have dietary restrictions, please contact the Program Coordinator at apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu by June 6, 2014.
Continuing Education Information:
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will earn a Certificate of Completion. In addition, courses are approved for 3.0 CEUs and 3.0 PLUs.
To receive PLUs, teachers must complete and submit a Prior Approval Form before the course begins. Contact the Program Coordinator at apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu with the specific subject and week you plan to attend to receive your Prior Approval Form.
College Board, AP®, Advanced Placement® and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.