Every school system in America needs interpreters to facilitate communications between non-English-speaking parents of students and school system personnel. However, few educational institutions offer any formal training for this vital profession.
Hours: 30 hours / 3.0 CEUs
When: New dates coming soon!
To help fill this training void, the University of Georgia offers a 30-hour online course for educational interpreters everywhere.
Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate is a one-of-a-kind, highly acclaimed program. Register for the next online instructor-led course if you want to increase your professional knowledge, enhance your career path, and better serve non-English-speaking students and their families in your school district.
Each Wednesday evening, you will participate in an interactive, online session with the program’s expert instructor. Between the weekly sessions, you will complete reading assignments, videos, quizzes and presentations.
There is no textbook. Certificates are awarded to those who complete the program and pass the final assessment in Week 8.
When 43 participants of two recent courses evaluated the program, 100 percent said they were satisfied and the content met their learning expectations.
What you will learn:
- the roles of school system personnel and the policies
- educational terminology
- the difference between interpreting and translating
- procedures that educational interpreters must follow
- how to apply the Interpreter’s Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics to real-life scenarios you may encounter
- roles of interpreters when working with special student populations and their families (such as preschool children, at-risk students, students with disabilities, and Special Education students)
- how to use consecutive, simultaneous, sight translation and summarization translation modes
What recent participants say:
- “This course was an eye opener. I really enjoyed the opportunity to learn and to further grow.”
- “The instructor taught material specifically for the job I do.”
- “The instructor was very open and used her own personal experience and stories.”
- “It helped me to understand my job better and gave me tools to become a better interpreter.”
- “I really like all of the content in the class. I learned a lot!”
Who Should Attend?
- Teachers, staff, administrators of public, private or charter schools, and other education institutions
- Individuals who work with teachers, staff and administrators of public, private or charter schools and other institutions
- Interpreters and translators currently employed in educational institutions
- Independent interpreters
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate Program.
- Individuals seeking employment in educational organizations
- Individual seeking their first professional interpreting certification
New dates coming soon!
Online or Classroom sessions available as a customized training on your schedule at the location of your choice. Please contact Professional and Personal Development at 706-542-3537 Monday – Friday EST or email questions [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu for more information.
- Certificate of Program Completion
- 3.0 CEUs will be awarded for 30 contact hours
- 3 PLUs will be awarded for 30 contact hours*
*To receive PLUs, you must complete and submit this Prior Approval Form before starting the class.