Learn how to plan and manage governmental revenue.
Revenue Administration is an online, self-study course developed by the University of Georgia.
You will learn:
- Four trends in the revenue structures of local governments
- The components of a well-conceived revenue policy
- The property tax cycle and its key players
- How to calculate the millage rate and apply it to a tax digest
- How to strengthen the collection of property taxes
- How to establish a fee policy and use fee pricing methodologies
- Understanding licenses, permits, regulatory fees, and impact fees
- The theoretical concept of intergovernmental revenues
- How to differentiate between the different types of intergovernmental revenues
- The various forms of fines and forfeiture revenues
- Methods of generating revenue from investment income
- The different collection methods and collection strategies available
- How to determine the best revenue sources to fund a new government service
You can complete the course at your own pace, on your own schedule. As you progress through each of the lessons, you will be challenged with self-test questions and interactive exercises. Online consultations with a financial professional can be scheduled on request.
Revenue Administration offers:
- Self-paced, self-study, online course; accessible anywhere with an Internet connection
- Interactive media to enhance your learning experience
- A dynamic accounting course with a detailed curriculum written by an outstanding academic and governmental accounting/finance professional
- A downloadable .PDF version of a companion course textbook
- A capstone Case Study
- 9 Lessons
- Structure and Policy
- Property Taxes
- Charges for Services
- Taxes Other than Property
- Licenses, Permits, and Regulatory Fees
- Intergovernmental Revenue
- Other Revenue
- Improving Collections
- Case Study in Revenue Administration
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course’s required online quizzes and exercises within 30 days of receiving the course URL, username and password information.
- To complete this course, you will read the lessons and complete each lesson's exercises and quizzes. At the conclusion of the final lesson, you must also successfully complete an online final examination with a score of 70% or better.
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, “How Does Revenue Administration Work?” and “Frequently Asked Questions.”
$179 – Residents of Georgia
$219 – Non-residents of Georgia
$50 – One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant.)
The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student for a fee of $50; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to thirty (30) days from the transfer date to complete the course. A course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50 (US). Written requests should be sent to student [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu
- Local government finance professionals and paraprofessionals who want to enhance their career skills and professional development opportunities.
- Local government employees who seek to meet requirements of their state’s Local Government Finance Officer Certification Program.
- Professionals with private sector experience who want to gain knowledge of governmental revenue administration.
- Accounting professionals preparing for the CPA exam or seeking continuing professional education.
- The University of Georgia will award 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 12 Continuing Professional Education units (CPEs) upon successful completion of Revenue Administration.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request.
There are no prerequisites for enrolling in the Revenue Administration course.
Textbooks are not required to complete this course. Everything you need is built into the online course.