Learn the basics of human resources in a governmental environment
Government employees are sometimes given the responsibility for handling the personnel functions in their governments. Elected officials often are involved in personnel decisions and must be up to speed with current employment law. The role of the human resource manager in establishing and adhering to sound personnel policies and procedures will be discussed. There will also be a review of the performance management and appraisal process, recruiting and selection, interviewing, hiring and retaining staff, wages and employee benefits. Discipline and discharge and the legal environment of the Human Resources Management function will be addressed.
What does the course offer?
Human Resources: An Online Course for Governmental Officials offers:
- Self-paced, self-study, online course; accessible anywhere with an Internet connection
- Detailed, state-of-the-art curriculum; a dynamic program written by a outstanding academic and governmental human resource professional
- Six (6) Lessons
- Human Resources and Risk Management
- Recruitment and Selection
- Wages and Benefits
- Performance Management and Appraisal
- Discipline and Discharge
- Legal Environment of Human Resource Management
The course is designed by a Human Resource practitioner with over 25 years of experience, with many example documents in class that can be used in your home jurisdiction. This course is a good review of current employment law.
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course's required online quizzes within 30 days of issuance of course access details (i.e., a Welcome email containing the course URL, username and password)
- For more details on How Human Resources: An Online Course for Governmental Officials Works, please click on the downloadable file on right
- For Frequently Asked Questions, please click on the downloadable file on on right
$179 (US Funds) — Residents of Georgia
$219 (US Funds) — Non-Residents of Georgia
$50 (US Funds) Only one extension is granted per participant. — 1-Month Extension
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to 30 days from the transfer date to complete the course. A course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50 (US). Written requests should be sent to questions [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu
- Government Employees who work for a City or a County in the State of Georgia
- Elected Officials
- Council Members
- Commission Members
- City or County Manager
- City or County Clerk
- City, State, Municipal or Federal Employee with Human Resource/Personnel Responsibilities
- Anyone who wants or needs or would benefit from general Human Resource information
- Any government employee (local, state or federal) who needs to understand employment law
- .6 CEU from the University of Georgia
Participants successfully completing the required online assignments will earn .6 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) from The University of Georgia. Click here for details about the University of Georgia CEU.
This course counts as a 6-hour requirement in the Georgia Superior Court Clerks certificate program, it counts as a 6-hour elective in the Georgia City and County Clerks Certificate program, it counts as a required class in ACCG Commissioner’s Training Program, and a required class in GMA’s Harold F. Holtz Municipal Training Institute for Elected Officials