Build your expertise as a professional educational interpreter.
The University of Georgia’s Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate Program expands career options for bilingual individuals who work in schools or educational settings.
Participants will learn how to:
- Identify cultural aspects of Latino/Hispanic communities
- Use simultaneous and consecutive interpretation
- Assess one’s bilingual expertise and vocabulary in the native language and the second language
- Build proficiency in educational terminology
- Serve as a linguistic counselor who maintains the flow of communication without manipulating the content of the message
- Apply the Standards of Practice and the Code of Ethics
Becoming a professional interpreter is a learned and skill-based process. This 40-hour classroom training program is designed to equip the participant with measurable skills for becoming a professional educational interpreter.
Bilingual language interpreting programs are offered: Spanish/English. Four sessions of the program will be taught in English and the fifth session will be bilingual. The program is highly interactive, with frequent discussion topics and interpreting exercises.
Job Outlook: Professional interpreters have stronger-than-average employment opportunities. Demand is especially strong for Spanish interpreters.
According to the Department of Labor, “Interpreters and translators can expect much faster than average employment growth. Job prospects vary by specialty and language. Employment of interpreters is projected to increase 22 percent over the 2008–18 decade, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. Higher demand for interpreters and translators results directly from the broadening of international ties and the large increases in the number of non-English speaking people in the United States. Both of these trends are expected to continue. Demand will remain strong for interpreters of Spanish”
This course is available as a customized training on your schedule at the location of your choice. Please contact Professional and Personal Development at 706-542-3537 or email questions [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu for more information.
- Teachers, staff, administrators of public, private or charter schools, and other education institutions
- Individuals who work with teachers, staff and administrators of public, private or charter schools and other institutions
- Interpreters and translators currently employed in educational institutions
- Independent interpreters
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate Program.
- Individuals seeking employment in educational organizations
- Individual seeking their first professional interpreting certification
- Certificate of Program Completion
- 4.0 CEUs will be awarded for 40 contact hours
- 4 PLUs will be awarded for 40 contact hours*
*To receive PLUs, you must complete and submit this Prior Approval Form before starting the class.
Program Instructor for sessions one through four and Spanish instructor for session five:
Ana Soler, BSW, MPH has been the Language Services Administrator for Gwinnett Public Schools for seven years. Ana coordinates interpreter/translator services for over 120 schools and more than 25 different languages, and provides interpreter training and technical assistance to school and central office personnel. As a Multicultural Program Coordinator for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Ana also developed and translated and implemented injury prevention programs for Spanish-speaking parents and their children. Ana has sixteen years of experience as an interpreter/translator in the educational and medical settings, as well as a bilingual/bicultural social worker.
Ms. Soler, has a Master in Public Health from Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta; Bachelor of Social Work from Georgia State University, Atlanta; and an Associate in Applied Science from the Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC.
You must be bilingual in Spanish/English to complete the certificate requirements.
Join our mailing list! To receive the latest updates about the professional development and personal enrichment programs we offer, please use our online request form or call 706-542-3537.