Developed by the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, the Sports Turfgrass Management Course - A Certificate Program offers up-to-date information on the establishment and care of sports fields.
The information covered is applicable to all levels of sports field management, from big league fields to little league fields - all the basics are included! In addition to explaining the fundamentals of turfgrass management that apply to all turfgrass areas, the course also focuses on how these practices are specifically adapted to sports fields. The course also addresses turfgrass selection on a regional basis.
- For example, what turfgrass is best suited for a low maintenance field in Northern Illinois? Miami, Florida? Brazil?
- How are these grasses established?
- What types and rates of fertilizers should be used and when should they be applied?
- What pests can be expected and how can they be identified and controlled?
Complete the Sports Turfgrass Management Course and get the answer to these and all other questions pertaining to the establishment and care of sports turf!
Experience the following benefits ...
- Study at home to master up-to-date turfgrass management practices and procedures that are standard in the green industry, specifically the sports field industry
- Understand the principles of warm- and cool-season turfgrass establishment, growth, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Increase customer confidence
- Expand your knowledge and professional growth
- STMA awards 1 education point for anyone seeking to become a Certified Sports Field Manager (CSFM); CSFM's earn 1.5 CEUs upon completion of this program.
An easy-to-read, illustrated study guide with color-plates of various weeds, insects, and diseases, leads you through the course and also provides timely information on special concerns like pesticide safety, integrated pest management, advertising, and customer relations. The study guide is also a great reference tool after you've completed the course.
Enroll anytime. You have up to 12 months from your initial enrollment date to complete the course. A six-month extension can be granted for a nominal fee ($50).
$319 — STMA Members
$379 — Non-Members
$359 — 2-7 from same organization
$339 — 8 or more from same organization
Add $50 per enrollment — Shipping and handling outside U.S.
(payable in U.S. dollars; association membership will be verified)
Prices are subject to change.
This course is complete, and includes one attempt at each of two proctored exams. Students are responsible for locating a suitable facility and scheduling the exams. Students are also responsible for paying any fees assessed by testing centers/proctors.
If the student does not successfully complete the exam on the first attempt he/she may attempt the exam up to two more times. There will be an administrative fee of $30 for each exam attempt after the first.
If a student is unable to complete the course within the twelve months allotted time, he/she may file for a six-month extension for a fee of $50.
If for any reason you need to cancel or reschedule your participation in Principles of Turfgrass Management, please contact us at student [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu or 706-542-3537 within 7 days of receiving your course materials. We will issue a refund (minus a $50 administrative fee) once we receive your returned materials.
The course is designed for all industry professionals, including those affiliated with
- Athletic fields
- Golf courses
- Public parks and recreation areas
- School grounds
- Pest control companies
- Anyone wanting to learn more about managing sports turf
Students successfully completing all assignments earn 14 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from The University of Georgia, with a transcript available upon request. Graduates also receive a Certificate of Program Completion from The University of Georgia.
Included in the fee: The only book necessary to complete the course is the Sports Turfgrass Management Study Guide