The Dictionary Society of North America promotes the development, practice, and study of lexicography, and the use, compilation, curation, marketing, maintenance, and scholarly examination of dictionaries and related reference works. It provides forums for discussion and dissemination of information on all of these topics, including a peer-reviewed journal, a newsletter, a blog, and biennial meetings. The DSNA was formed in 1975 to bring together people interested in dictionary making, study, collection, and use. Our more than 400 members who live in 40 countries around the world include people working on dictionaries, academics who engage in research and writing about dictionaries, dictionary collectors, librarians, booksellers, translators, linguists, publishers, writers, collectors, journalists, and people with an avocational interest in dictionaries. The only requirement for membership is an expression of interest in language, in words, dictionaries and lexicography, or any combination of these.
The program will begin with lectures on the morning of Thursday, May 23 and will run through Saturday afternoon, May 25. During the conference, the University Library's Special Collections Department will give guided tours of historical collections, such as the Senator Richard Russell collection, as well as the Peabody Awards collection.
For more information about the Dictionary Society of North America, please visit the DSNA website.
Transportation – Athens is about 60 miles northeast of Atlanta. Atlanta's international airport is served by Delta and other airlines with hundreds of flights daily. Regular ground transportation is available from Groome Transportation with one van per hour from the airport to the Georgia Center for Continuing Education from 5:15 a.m. until midnight. It's best to call them to reserve your seat.
For ground transport – See the Groome Transportation web site schedule and phone number for reservations.
For flights – See the Delta web site schedule and phone number for reservations.
All of the major car rental companies are in the Atlanta airport. View the Hotel and Conference Center "transportation tip sheet" [a pdf] for more information.
Those wishing to present papers (no longer than 20 minutes) should send abstracts to Don McCreary at email@example.com no later than February 11, 2013. Abstracts for papers on any topic relating to the history, theory, or practice of lexicography are welcome. Abstracts for papers about bilingual lexicography are especially encouraged. The suggested length is 250 words.
All presenters of conference papers must be members of the DSNA. To join or renew membership, click on one of the following links inside the website: "I want to join DSNA!" or "Renew my membership."
Conference Registration includes the Friday night banquet.
- Conference Registration on/before April 15 – $195
- Conference Registration after April 15 – $220
- Graduate Student Registration on/before April 15 – $0
- Graduate Student Registration after April 15 – $20
- UGA Faculty/Student – Complimentary registration
- (All presenters must be members of the DSNA. Student membership in North America: $50; Regular membership in North America $60; International student membership $60; International regular membership $70)
Event Cancellation Policies
(1) A cancellation received by 5:00 p.m. ET on or before May 16, 2013 will be refunded, minus a $35 processing fee. No refunds will be issued thereafter; substitutions will be allowed. (2) To change or cancel your registration, call 800-884-1381, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET. (3) If an event is cancelled for any reason, the UGA Hotel and Conference Center will not be responsible for any charges related to travel.
- Classic Queen/King Room (one queen/king bed) – $89
- Classic Single Room (two ¾ beds, extra long) – $89
You'll be given the opportunity to make a hotel reservation as you proceed through the online registration process.
Program Contact: Don R. McCreary, Department of English, Park Hall
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602
Registration Contact: The Georgia Center
If you require special services or have dietary restrictions, contact Nette Penn at 706.542.6658 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 5 business days before your event.