This program has been cancelled due to COVID-19 safety concerns. We plan to offer the conference in 2021, check back here in the fall for details on next year’s conference.
Interested in learning more about a potential future career in healthcare? Then this is the conference for you! The Foothills Area Health Education Center and the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education are working together to help recent and soon-to-be high school graduates get on the path to a successful career in the healthcare industry. Join us for three days on the University of Georgia’s historic Athens campus, as we explore a wide variety of health careers and discover the different ways you can get there.
At this conference, you will have the opportunity to:
- Receive information on various careers in healthcare, including educational requirements, occupational outlook, and potential salary ranges
- Receive valuable college preparation and admissions information
- Participate in hands-on learning activities with UGA faculty which may include: the Cellular Biology Lab dissection; the Cadaver Lab; the Kinesiology Labs; the Veterinary Teaching Hospital tour, and more
- Tour areas of the UGA Campus & Facilities
- Eat in the UGA Dining Commons
Course Date Info:
The conference will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, June 9 - 11, 2020, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Conference sessions and activities will be held on the UGA Athens campus. Transportation between campus locations will be provided. Check-in and dismissal/pick-up of students is located at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education.
Cost is $125 for the conference. Registration fee includes lunch each day, snacks, attendee parking, intercampus transportation, and special gifts.
Transportation and Lodging:
Students are responsible for getting themselves to and from campus for the conference each day. UGA will provide intercampus transportation during the conference.
Students are responsible for securing their own hotel accommodations. If you wish to book a hotel room in Athens, we recommend you try the UGA Center for Continuing Education & Hotel (706) 542-2134, Holiday Inn (706) 549-4433, or the Hilton Garden Inn (706) 353-6800.
What to Wear:
Dress for this conference is comfortable business casual. No t-shirts. Students will be walking across campus and participating in hands-on activities, so wear comfortable clothing and closed-toe walking shoes. Shorts, skirts, and dresses should be no shorter than 5” above the knee. Absolutely no heels over 1”. Scrub tops will be given to students Tuesday to wear Wednesday. On Wednesday, please wear black or khaki pants or skirts.
Students who need financial assistance to attend the conference (and have not attended this conference in the past) may submit an application to Jenn Dunahoo at Jenn.Dunahoo@nghs.com. The application is a statement of 50 words or less answering the following questions:
- Why should you be awarded a scholarship to attend this conference?
- Would you be able to attend this conference without a scholarship?
A limited number of scholarships are available, so please submit your application as soon as possible. Scholarships must be awarded prior to the opening of the registration date, March 4, 2020.
College Scholarship Eligibility:
Completion of this conference meets the “Intensive Program” eligibility requirement for the Foothills AHEC college scholarship application. Visit Foothills Area Healh Education Center web site for more details.
- Students graduating high school in 2020, 2021, or 2022 and
- interested in pursuing a career in healthcare, and
- have a GPA of 3.0 or greater based on HOPE calculations. Upon confirmation of registration, the student must have a transcript reflecting such a GPA sent to Jenn.Dunahoo@nghs.com before May 1st, 2020.
Jenn Dunahoo, Health Careers Coordinator
Foothills AHEC, Gainesville, GA
The Georgia Center
- Foothills Area Health Education Center
- The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education