Learn how governments manage their funds.
Local government financial personnel need a thorough understanding of treasury management, which encompasses cash flow forecasting, disbursements, collections, relationships with banks and investment firms, and more.
Treasury Management will familiarize you with the legal and political considerations and parameters within which a treasury management system functions. In addition, you will learn about banking systems and how they affect local government treasury management and the concepts of contracting for banking services. As you progress through each of the lessons, you will be challenged with self-test questions and interactive exercises. Online consultations with a financial professional can be scheduled on request.
In 9 lessons, you will learn:
- legal and political aspects of a treasury management system
- concepts of contracting for banking services
- the steps involved in preparing a cash flow forecast
- collection methods and strategies
- the government disbursement process
- various types of investment instruments
- components of a strong investment policy
- what makes effective internal controls
- the role of staffing and supervision within the treasury function
- the impact of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statement 40 on the treasury function
Who Should Attend?
- Local Government Finance Professionals and Paraprofessionals who want to enhance their career skills and professional development opportunities through the Georgia Finance Officer Certification Program.
- Governmental Professionals with previous private sector experience who want to gain Treasury Management knowledge.
- State and Local Governmental employees who require knowledge of Treasury Management.
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course's required online quizzes and exercises within 30 days of issuance of course access details (i.e., a Welcome email containing the course URL, username and password)
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, "How Does Treasury Management Works?"and "Frequently Asked Questions."
$229 — Residents of Georgia
$269 — Non-residents of Georgia
$50 — One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant.)
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student for a fee of $50; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to thirty (30) days from the transfer date to complete the course. A course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50 (US). Written requests should be sent to questions [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu
- The University of Georgia will award 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 12 Continuing Education units (CEs) upon successful completion of Treasury Management.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request
Certification or Licensure Information:
Treasury Management meets a Level I core course requirement for local Georgia governmental employees in the Finance Officer Certification Program.