Learn how to prepare and implement a local government budget.
Introductory Budget is an online, self-study course developed by the University of Georgia. You can complete the course at your own pace, on your own schedule. As you progress through each of the lessons, you will be challenged with end-of-lesson quizzes and interactive exercises.
This course will familiarize you with an overview of the budget process. You will also learn the different types of budgets, components of a budget, and how to prepare a budget summary.
In 7 lessons, you will learn:
- Types of budgets and their components
- The local government’s budget system
- How to prepare revenue estimates and budget summaries
- Financial forecasting/estimating revenues
- The process of creating, implementing and monitoring a budget
- How to establish budgetary controls and budgets for contingencies
- Local government action on the budget
- Operating with the Budget
Who Should Attend?
- Local governmental employees who require knowledge of the local government budget process.
- Local government employees who seek to meet requirements of their state's Local Government Finance Officer Certification Program.
- Professionals with private sector experience who want to gain knowledge of the governmental budgeting process.
- Accounting professionals preparing for the CPA exam or seeking continuing professional education.
- Enroll at any time.
- Complete the course's required online quizzes and exercises within 30 days of receiving the "Welcome" email with course URL, username and password information.
- To complete this course, you will read the lessons and complete each lesson's exercises and quizzes. At the conclusion of the final lesson, you must also successfully complete an online final examination with a score of 70% or better.
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, "How Does Introductory Budget Work?" and "Frequently Asked Questions."
$299 (US Funds) — Residents of Georgia
$339 (US Funds) — Non-residents of Georgia
$50 (US Funds) — One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant.)
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student for a fee of $50; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to thirty days from the transfer date to complete the course. A course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50. Written requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Georgia will award 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 12 Continuing Education units (CEs) upon successful completion of Introductory Budget.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request.
Certification or Licensure Information:
This course meets a Level I core course requirement in the Local Finance Officer Certification Program for local government personnel in the State of Georgia.