This 42-hour, seven-week, intensive program is designed for both beginning and experienced secretaries who are interested in improving their skills and working more efficiently within the law office. Topics include: legal terminology; legal process; jurisdiction and venue; ethics; written communications including letters, pleadings, discovery, notices and motions; filing procedures, billing and accounting; time management; records management; legal research; memoranda preparation, and citation format. New topics include law office management, professionalism, database management and computers in the law office.
The Legal Secretary Certificate Courseis offered in partnership by the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education and the Center for Legal Studies.
- Introduction to the American Legal System & Ethics
- Reception Duties, Correspondence, File Management & Filing Systems
- Calendar & Docketing, Fees, Billing & Accounting Practices
- Word Processing & Legal Document Preparation
- E-discovery, Computers in a Law Office
- Legal Secretary Practicum
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals seeking legal secretary training and skills necessary for a career in the legal field
- Current paralegals, administrative assistants and legal secretaries wanting to increase their legal secretary skills as well as learn new marketable job skills
January Session –
Monday, January 14 - Friday, March 1, 2019
$729 (does not include course materials)
Continuing Education Information” to “Students will be awarded a Certificate of Program Completion for 4.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing the course.
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements:
Timely and successful completion of written and oral assignments is required. To receive your Certificate of Completion, you must have a score of 70% or better on assignments and on the final written examination.