Learn how state and local governments report their financial performance.
Governments and private businesses operate in vastly different environments, so their accounting processes and reporting are substantially different, too.
Online courses in The University of Georgia’s Governmental Accounting Series will help you gain a foundational understanding of accounting in a governmental environment. Upon successful completion of all three accounting courses, a Certificate of Completion will be awarded from the University of Georgia. The accounting series includes:
- Intermediate Governmental Accounting
Intermediate Governmental Accounting is a self-paced, online course with 10 lessons and practice exercises in a downloadable course textbook. The course is designed primarily for state and local governmental employees who want to enhance their knowledge of financial reporting.
- Introduces you to the governmental financial reporting environment
- Focuses on how transactions are reported in external governmental financial statements
- Explains the principles of accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments
- Explains governmental funds, proprietary funds, and fiduciary funds
- Explains the reporting entity
- Explains reconciliation (fund and entity-wide)
- Includes two practical exercises:
- Reconciliation of Fund Balance to Net Position
- Statement of Activities – Governmental Activities
Who Should Attend?
- State and Local Governmental employees who require knowledge of governmental accounting.
- State of Georgia employees enrolled in the State Financial Management Certificate Program.
- Georgia Local Government employees who are enrolled in the Local Government Financial Management Certification Program.
- Governmental accounting professionals with previous private sector experience who want to gain governmental accounting knowledge.
- Independent public accountants with state and local governmental auditing or consulting.
- Accountants/CPAs who are interested in developing a government practice.
- Accounting professionals who want to earn continuing professional education required for all CPAs.
- Accounting Professionals preparing for the CPA Exam.
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course's required online quizzes and exercises within three (3) months of issuance of course access details (i.e., a Welcome email containing the course URL, username and password)
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, "How Does Intermediate Governmental Accounting Work?" and "Frequently Asked Questions"
- Practical day-to-day accounting methods and financial reporting—and complying with
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is addressed throughout three-course, accounting online series!
$659 — Residents of Georgia
$699 — Non-Residents of Georgia
$50 — One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant.)
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 30 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up to three months from the transfer date to complete the course. The course may be transferred only once for a fee of $50 (US). Written requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Georgia will award 3.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 36 Continuing Education units (CEs) upon successful completion of Intermediate Governmental Accounting.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request.
Upon successful completion of all three accounting courses, a Certificate of Completion will be awarded from the University of Georgia. The accounting series includes:
- Introductory Governmental Accounting-Part I
- Introductory Governmental Accounting-Part II
- Intermediate Governmental Accounting
Certification or Licensure Information:
This course meets a Level II core course requirement in the Local Finance Officer Certification Program for local government personnel in the State of Georgia.
Local government employees (in the State of Georgia) will receive a certificate as outlined in the Local Government Finance Officer Certification Program.
Employees of the State of Georgia will receive a certificate as outlined in the State Financial Management Certificate Program.