Enhance your career! Become a Spanish/English legal interpreter.
The Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate is a 36-hour training program for bilingual individuals who speak English and Spanish and seek an intensive introduction to interpreting work in the legal field or in a court system.
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Legal interpreting terminology in English and Spanish
- Spanish/English linguistics skills
- Analysis of the legal environment and issues regarding Latinos/Hispanics
- Development of integrated interpreter skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of the Latino/Hispanic community.
Students will also participate in a tour of the Gwinnett Judicial Center as one of the scheduled learning activities for the course.
Job Outlook: According to the U.S. Department of Labor, interpreters and translations can expect much faster than average employment growth over the next decade due to the increase in the number of foreign language speakers in the United States and the broadening of international ties.
State Court Interpretation Certification Test: Please note that the Georgia State Court Interpreter Certification process has its own requirements. For more information on test time, fees, and requirements, please visit the Georgia Commission on Interpreters web page.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who want an intensive introduction to the profession of court interpreting or legal interpreting
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate Program
- Individuals seeking employment in the legal field or in court systems
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(Note: Class begins at 8:30 a.m. on the scheduled tour date)
$849 (Fee includes all course materials)
Students will be awarded a Certificate of Program Completion for 3.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing the course.
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements:
To receive the Certificate of Program Completion the following is required:
- Attendance at all 5 classes.
- Timely and successful completion of written and oral assignments.
- Receive a final score of 70% or better on the post-test.
Note: A college level language proficiency in both English and Spanish is strongly recommended for those seeking to take the course