Help Schools Build Trust With Parents of Special Education Children
This certificate course is designed for language interpreters who participate in special education meetings in K-12 settings. In such meetings, the interpreter plays a key role for officials, teachers, and parents. The interpreter’s ability to convey information accurately and completely can influence a child’s placement, support, and eligibility for special education services.
The Professional Interpreter in Special Education certificate course prepares interpreters to navigate complex regulatory, ethical, and cultural issues involved in how school systems deliver special education services.
What You Will Learn
You will learn the educational interpreter’s roles in discussions of psychological evaluations, eligibility, Individualized Education Plans, reevaluations, and post-high school transition plans.
Through interactive discussions, practice and vocabulary-building exercises, you will also learn:
- Concepts, components, and terminology of special education
- The importance of special education legislation
- How to apply the Interpreter’s Standards of Practice to promote trust and communication among parents and schools
- How to explain special education processes—such as eligibility, Parent Rights, and Individualized Education Plans—to parents
- How to remain impartial and accurate when interpreting difficult concepts
- Modes of interpretation in special education settings
- How to deal with the stresses and emotions of being an interpreter
Who Should Attend?
K-12 educational interpreters, bilingual school staff, and contract/independent interpreters who already have a strong foundation in the basics of interpretation and seek to master the art of interpreting in a special education setting.
This course is also available as a classroom contract training for your organization. You choose the dates and location. For more information, please contact Professional and Personal Development at email@example.com.
Live online classroom sessions with the instructor will be held on Tuesday evenings from 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST. These sessions will be archived for later viewing if the student is unable to participate in these live meetings.
Online, cohort-based, with asynchronous activities and live online classes.
Successful graduates will earn:
- A Certificate of Program Completion from the University of Georgia
- 3.0 CEUs for 30 contact hours