The online application for the 2019 Georgia Junior Science & Humanities Symposium will be available in November. Please see the GJSHS Rulebook and the Paper & Presentation Criteria for details about application and research paper requirements.
At the Georgia Junior Science & Humanities Symposium (GJSHS), high school students from across the state have the opportunity to present the results of their original scientific, engineering, or mathematics research before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers and compete for military-sponsored scholarships and other awards. Some students will be selected to advance to the National JSHS.
Students will be invited to attend GJSHS after a preliminary judging process in which qualified scientists review the students' submitted abstracts and research papers. Based on the results of this preliminary review, 60 students will be selected to attend Georgia JSHS as either Presenters, who will participate in the oral presentation competition, or symposium Observers. (Students in the 8th grade are only eligible to be selected as Observers.) GJSHS culminates with the selection of five Presenters to win an expense-paid trip to National JSHS. Two of these five finalists will have the opportunity to present their research and in the oral presentation competition at NJSHS, and the other three will be invited to enter the NJSHS poster competition.
Students and chaperones who are selected to attend will be provided with meals (with the exception of one "on your own" chaperone-supervised dinner) and lodging for the duration of the event. Covered expenses are funded by a grant provided by the research programs of the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Presentations of original research projects by high school students
- Student poster session for Observers (8th graders are also eligible)
- Guest speakers who offer a look beyond high school to opportunities in post-secondary education and to academic and career development in the sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- Laboratory visits and tours
- Opportunities to meet and exchange ideas with others interested in the sciences