Gain the skills to be employed as a web developer
Regardless of your background, you can learn the coding skills employers are seeking for high-demand web developer jobs. The University of Georgia, in collaboration with The Software Guild, offers the Web Developer Coding Bootcamp certificate program - a rigorous professional development program that prepares its graduates for the workforce.
This online, 10-14 month program is ideal for career-changers. You will learn the skills needed for web application development jobs in this dynamic, fast-track profession.
Students participate in weekly, interactive sessions with expert instructors who have at least 10 years of web development experience. Outside of the online classes, you can also interact with instructors and other students via discussion forums, chat rooms, messaging or email. You will have full online access to course materials, labs, and exercises.
Select your learning program: .NET/C# or Java
The language or technology that you first learn is not nearly as important as understanding good website design and having the desire and ability to continually learn new things. What is important to our apprentices looking for their first job is having a skill set that is widely attractive to employers.
For this reason, we offer learning programs in both .NET/C# and Java. In most areas of the country, these programming languages have by far the most employment opportunities. For example, in the Atlanta area, more than 80% of programming job postings specify .NET/C# or Java.
Is Web Developer Coding Bootcamp for you?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a shortfall of 1 million computer-related workers by 2020. The Wall Street Journal wrote recently about coding bootcamps in general and The Software Guild specifically. The new breed of coding schools welcome nontraditional applicants, many without college degrees, and provide “precisely the software-development skills employers need,” the article stated.
What you will learn:
You will learn to be a full-stack web developer in the language you choose (.NET/C# or Java). Web applications are built in layers that are divided into front-end clients (such as a web browser) and back-end services (such as databases). “Full-stack” developers are capable of working in both front-end and back-end technologies. To achieve this as a web developer, you will learn:
- The fundamentals of object-oriented programming (Part 1 of the program)
- Database-driven web applications (Part 2 of the program)
If you have no prior coding experience, your learning journey starts with a free, online course: Introduction to Web Development. This 6-8 week course will help prepare you for the intensive bootcamp curriculum to follow.
Web Developer Coding Bootcamp begins by introducing you to the concepts of how websites are designed and implemented. In your journey as a coding apprentice, you will learn to keep your skills fresh and be able to expand into new languages and frameworks.
Here are the key topics we’ll cover in the .NET/C# and Java courses.
As you near completion of Web Developer Coding Bootcamp, here’s how we will help you connect with employers seeking your skills:
- An Employer Network Manager will discuss resume preparation and the interviewing process with you.
- Your Employer Network Manager will also work with you to suggest strategies for applying for jobs and help build your interviewing skills.
- You will also gain access to an extensive network of more than 400 employers who have hired past graduates or expressed interest in the Web Developer Coding Bootcamp program.
As a member of the Council on Integrity in Results Reporting (CIRR), The Software Guild is committed to accurately reporting graduation and job placement rates. Member bootcamps agree to provide CIRR their graduation and placement data semi-annually.
Who Should Apply?
This program is designed for those who want to learn the skills essential for junior-level web development jobs, but are unable to commit to a full-time, immersive classroom program.
We look for three traits in our applicants: High Aptitude, High Drive and High Preparedness. Our apprentices range from proficient coders to those who have had no prior coding experience.
Because this is a rigorous program with heavy time commitments, you must follow a four-step application process to be accepted and enrolled:
- Fill out an application.
- Schedule and fulfill an interview with an enrollment counselor.
- Complete the aptitude assessment. This measures your current skills in order to determine your chance of success in the program.
- Complete the free Introduction to Web Development course that prepares future students for the intensive curriculum ahead. Or, if you feel you already have the needed web development knowledge, just schedule a live audition with instructors. In the audition, you will be tested to gauge your readiness to move on to the full course.
Web Developer Coding Bootcamp –
.NET/C# or Java course
Monthly application deadlines and start dates
Course Fee(s): $12,000; Alternative payment option, discount and scholarship information available
Successful graduates will receive a Certificate of Program Completion and earn 72 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the University of Georgia. Definition of CEU.
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements:
To receive the Certificate of Program Completion the following is required:
- Full participation throughout the 720 hour course
- Timely and successful completion of all activities and assignments
- Satisfactorily complete the training program