AP® Summer Institutes for Teachers will provide you with the content and resources you need to lead a successful AP® course at your school. These intensive workshops will familiarize you with subject-specific AP® standards, course content and teaching methods, and will help you identify the skills and knowledge the exam will assess, so you can better prepare your students.
Hours: 30 hours / 3 CEUs
Where: UGA's Athens campus
When: Summer 2015
Registration Starts Jan. 2015
You will have the chance to develop or tweak your syllabi and lesson plans, and learn new strategies for teaching students at beginning and intermediate levels. This is a wonderful opportunity to exchange ideas and information with your peers, and to become a member of an engaged and diverse learning community.
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to each participant who meets the completion requirements, and all workshops are approved for 3.0 PLUs from the Georgia Department of Education. Workshops are appropriate for both new and experienced teachers.
Registration opens in January 2015!
Check in for both sessions will take place on Sunday evening from 4-6pm, with classes beginning promptly at 8:00am on Monday morning and ending at 5:00pm on Thursday. There will be an additional late check-in for commuters on Monday morning at 7:00am.
Week 1: Sunday, June 21 – Thursday, June 25, 2015
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Language & Composition (also offered during Week 2)
- AP English Literature & Composition
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History* (also offered during Week 2)
- AP Human Geography
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP Physics 1
- AP Psychology
- AP Spanish Language & Culture
- AP United States History
Week 2: Sunday, July 5 – Thursday, July 9, 2015
- AP Calculus AB**
- AP Calculus BC**
- AP English Language & Composition (also offered during Week 1)
- AP European History* (also offered during Week 1)
- AP French Language & Culture
- AP Latin
- AP Microeconomics
- AP Physics 2
- AP United States Government & Politics
- AP World History**
* AP® European History has been redesigned and new exams will be administered in May 2016. Instructors are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions to prepare for the changes and receive new materials.
**AP® Calculus and AP® World History are being redesigned for 2016-17. This summer, 20 percent of the time spent in these workshops will be devoted to understanding the new curriculum framework and previewing the redesigned course. Teachers are encouraged to attend this session to prepare for the transition.
- $700 per workshop
- $50 science lab fee (for Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Physics only)
- $55 late registration fee (less than three weeks before course start date)
The fees listed here include instruction by a College Board endorsed consultant, all course materials, breakfast & lunch (M-Th), and on-campus parking. If you plan to stay overnight at the hotel, additional fees will apply (see details below).
A special block of hotel rooms is being held at the Georgia Center for APSI attendees until the deadlines listed below. Prices range from $99-$129 per night, depending on room type. You will be given the opportunity to book a room when you register. If you book a hotel room over the phone, be sure to mention you are attending the Advanced Placement Summer Institute to make sure you receive the discounted price.
- Week 1: June 21-25 – rooms will be held until 5pm on May 27th
- Week 2: July 5-9 – rooms will be held until 5pm on June 8t
The College Board offers qualifying teachers the opportunity to attend an APSI for free in the form of scholarships and/or fellowships. Applications are available from the College Board website, and the deadline for applications is February 15, 2015.
Support may be available for teachers who:
- are teaching a recently redesigned course (Art History, European History, Physics 1 & 2) who have no other source of funding to attend an APSI
- work in schools that serve minority, low-income or rural students who have been traditionally underrepresented in AP courses
Please note that requesting a scholarship from the College Board is not the same thing as registering for an APSI workshop. If you have submitted a scholarship request to the College Board, we strongly encourage you to register for your chosen APSI workshop online as soon as possible, as they often fill up fast. To hold a spot in a course after you have submitted a scholarship, click on the "register now" button and follow the directions in the online registration form. We will guide you through the process of indicating your scholarship request when you register, and you will not have to make a payment up front.
School Purchase Orders (POs)
You can register online and request we invoice your school until three weeks before your workshop begins. After that time, registrations will not be accepted without full payment. If your school or organization is paying for your registration by Purchase Order or check, we strongly recommend you begin that process as soon as possible to ensure you get a spot in the course.
To allow us time to order your College Board materials, please register no later than three weeks before your workshop begins. After that time, we will accept new participants only if there is space in the class and full payment is received at the time of registration. Participants registering with less than three weeks' notice should not expect all of their materials to be present upon arrival.
Cancellation and Refund Policies:
1. You may receive a refund of any monies paid, minus a $100 cancellation fee, if we receive your cancellation notice in writing or by phone before the deadlines listed below.
- Week 1 (June 21-25): cancel on or before Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 5pm ET
- Week 2 (July 5-9): cancel on or before Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 5pm ET
2. Cancellations after the deadlines listed above will not be refunded, though school systems may substitute another teacher for a paid participant in the same course.
3. To change or cancel your registration, email apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu or call 706-542-3537, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm ET.
4. Most courses require a minimum enrollment of 10 participants. Courses with insufficient enrollment will be cancelled on or before June 3, 2015. Participants will be notified by email if a course is cancelled, and refunds will be processed and submitted to the individual or school who paid the registration fee. The Georgia Center will not be responsible for any charges related to travel or other personal expenses.
If you require special services or have dietary restrictions, please contact the Program Coordinator at apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu no less than two weeks before your workshop begins.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will earn a Certificate of Completion. In addition, courses are approved for 3.0 CEUs and 3.0 PLUs.
To receive PLUs, teachers must complete and submit a Prior Approval Form before the course begins. Contact the Program Coordinator at apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu with the specific subject and week you plan to attend to receive your Prior Approval Form.
College Board, AP®, Advanced Placement® and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.