AP® Summer Institutes for Teachers will provide you with the content and resources you need to lead a successful AP® course at your school. These intensive workshops will familiarize you with subject-specific AP® standards, course content and teaching methods, and will help you identify the skills and knowledge the exam will assess, so you can better prepare your students.
Hours: 30 hours / 3 CEUs
Where: UGA's Athens campus
When: Summer 2015
Registration opens on Feb. 24
You will have the chance to develop or tweak your syllabi and lesson plans, and learn new strategies for teaching students at beginning and intermediate levels. This is a wonderful opportunity to exchange ideas and information with your peers, and to become a member of an engaged and diverse learning community.
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to each participant who meets the completion requirements, and all workshops are approved for 3.0 CEUs which will be reflected on participant transcripts. Workshops are appropriate for both new and experienced teachers.
Week 1: Sunday, June 21 – Thursday, June 25, 2015
- AP Biology - Course & Instructor Information - Full! Register to be put on the wait list!
- AP Chemistry - Course & Instructor Information
- AP English Language & Composition - Course & Instructor Information
- AP English Literature & Composition - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Environmental Science - Course & Instructor Information
- AP European History* - Course & Instructor Information - One spot left!
- AP Human Geography - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Macroeconomics - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Physics 1 - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Spanish Language & Culture - Course & Instructor Information
- AP United States History - Course & Instructor Information
Week 2: Sunday, July 5 – Thursday, July 9, 2015 - Online registration is closed.
Call 706-542-3537 to see if space is available.
- AP Calculus AB** - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Calculus BC** - Course & Instructor Information
- AP English Language & Composition - Course & Instructor Information
- AP European History* - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Latin - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Microeconomics - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Physics 2 - Course & Instructor Information
- AP Psychology - Course & Instructor Information
- AP United States Government & Politics - Course & Instructor Information
- AP World History** - Course & Instructor Information
* AP® European History has been redesigned and new exams will be administered in May 2016. Instructors are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions to prepare for the changes and receive new materials.
**AP® Calculus and AP® World History are being redesigned for 2016-17. This summer, 20 percent of the time spent in these workshops will be devoted to understanding the new curriculum framework and previewing the redesigned course. Teachers are encouraged to attend this session to prepare for the transition.
Sunday evening, 4-6pm: Early check-in period for overnight hotel guests
Monday morning, 7-8am: Late check-in period (open to both commuters and overnight hotel guests)
Classes will run from Monday-Thursday, from 8am-5pm each day, with breaks scheduled throughout.
- $700 per workshop
- $50 science lab fee (for Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Physics only)
- $55 late registration fee (less than three weeks before course start date)
The fees listed here include instruction by a College Board endorsed consultant, all course materials, breakfast & lunch (M-Th), and on-campus parking. If you plan to stay overnight at the hotel, additional fees will apply (see details below).
A special block of hotel rooms is being held at the Georgia Center for APSI attendees until the deadlines listed below. Prices range from $99-$129 per night, depending on room type. You will be given the opportunity to book a room when you register. If you book a hotel room over the phone, be sure to mention you are attending the Advanced Placement Summer Institute to make sure you receive the discounted price.
- Week 1: June 21-25 – rooms will be held until 5pm on May 27th
- Week 2: July 5-9 – rooms will be held until 5pm on June 8th
If you received a scholarship from the College Board or the Goizueta Foundation this year, we encourage you to register online as soon as possible. Receiving the scholarship notification is not the same as being registered for a course. Click here for more information on how to register as a scholarship recipient.
Registering with a School Purchase Orders or Check
You can register online and request we invoice your school until three weeks before your session begins. After that time, registrations will not be accepted without full payment or an approved Purchase Order from your school or organization. Click here for more information on how to register if your school is paying by check or Purchase Order (PO).
To allow us time to order your College Board materials, please register no less than three weeks before your session begins. After that time, a late registration fee of $55 will be assessed. We cannot guarantee that late registrants will have their materials when the session starts, but we will do our best to expedite the delivery of materials.
Cancellation and Refund Policies:
1. You may receive a refund of any monies paid, minus a $100 cancellation fee, if we receive your cancellation notice in writing or by phone before the deadlines listed below.
- Week 1 (June 21-25): cancel on or before Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 5pm ET
- Week 2 (July 5-9): cancel on or before Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 5pm ET
2. Cancellations after the deadlines listed above will not be refunded, though school systems may substitute another teacher for a paid participant in the same course.
3. To change or cancel your registration, email apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu or call 706-542-3537, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm ET.
4. Most courses require a minimum enrollment of 10 participants. Courses with insufficient enrollment will be cancelled on or before June 3, 2015. Participants will be notified by email if a course is cancelled, and refunds will be processed and submitted to the individual or school who paid the registration fee. The Georgia Center will not be responsible for any charges related to travel or other personal expenses.
If you require special services or have dietary restrictions, please contact the Program Coordinator at apsi [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu no less than two weeks before your workshop begins.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will earn a Certificate of Completion and 3.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). CEUs are recorded on your transcript; to request a copy, email us at transcripts [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu.
The Georgia Department of Education is no longer approving programs for Professional Learning Units (PLUs). The PLU system is currently under review, and a bill is progressing through the state legislature that will extend the current suspension of PLU requirements for recertification until June 30, 2017. A new system to track professional development hours should be in place by July 1, 2017. Until that time, please speak to your school or district about accepting CEUs (see above) for professional development. Visit the University of Georgia CEU policy page for more details.