Learn how governments use internal controls to protect their money.
Internal controls are the first line of defense in assuring that assets are safeguarded against fraud, waste and abuse.
Internal Controls: Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts will familiarize you with the comprehensive internal controls that should exist for accounts receivable and cash receipts in a governmental environment.
This self-paced, online course explains the fundamentals of internal control and the application of those controls over cash collections and accounts receivable. The online format allows you to progress at your own pace, augmented by consultation with a financial professional upon request.
Certificate of Program Completion
The course is one of four courses in the Internal Control series, which includes:
- Internal Controls: Accounts Payable and Cash Disbursements
- Internal Controls: Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
- Internal Controls: Capital Assets
- Internal Controls: Payroll
The University of Georgia will award a Certificate of Program Completion to graduates who successfully complete the four-course series in a 12-month period.
You will learn:
- The definition and components of Internal Controls
- The importance of Internal Controls and the limitations
- Effective Internal Controls of cash receipts and accounts receivable
- Reporting and correcting internal control deficiencies
This dynamic course has a detailed curriculum consisting of 7 lessons:
- Internal Control Review
- Importance of Internal Control
- Effective Internal Controls Over Cash Receipts
- Effective Internal Controls Over Accounts Receivable
- Segregation of Duties
- Internal Controls Deficiencies
- Case Study in Developing Internal Controls for Cash Receipts/Accounts Receivable
Who Should Attend?
- Internal Controls: Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts is one of a series of four internal control courses designed primarily for state and local government employees who require knowledge of basic internal controls
- Professionals with private sector experience who want to gain knowledge of internal controls over capital assets.
- Accounting professionals preparing for the CPA exam or seeking continuing professional education.
- Local government employees who seek to meet requirements of the Local Government Finance Officer Certification Program offered through the University of Georgia’s Carl Vinson Institute of Government
- Enroll at any time
- Complete the course's required online quizzes and exercises within 30 days of issuance of course access details (i.e., a Welcome email containing the course URL, username and password)
- To complete this course, you will read the lessons and complete each lesson's exercises and quizzes. At the conclusion of the final lesson, you must also successfully complete an online final examination with a score of 70% or better. Throughout the lessons, you will encounter many different types of interactive exercises, including matching, drag and drop and jumbled words
- For more details about the course, please click on the downloadable files on right titled, How It Works, and Frequently Asked Questions
$179 (US Funds) – Residents of Georgia
$219 (US Funds) – Non-Resident of Georgia
$50 (US Funds) – One-Month Extension (Only one extension is granted per participant)
Prepayment is required to be registered. Prices listed are per person. Prices are subject to change.
The Georgia Center will gladly issue full refunds for cancellations received in writing prior to the release of course access information. You may cancel your enrollment at any time during the course and receive a refund less a $50 administrative fee, provided that you have not accessed the online course material at all. During the first 10 days of your course, if you have not completed any course work, you may opt for a one-time transfer of your enrollment to another student for a fee of $50; the new student (i.e., substitute) would have up one month from the transfer date to complete the course. Written requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The University of Georgia will award .6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 6 Continuing Education units (CEs) upon successful completion of Internal Controls: Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts.
- University of Georgia CEU transcripts are available at any time upon written request.
- A Certificate of Program Completion from the University of Georgia is awarded to all enrollees who complete the four-course series in a 12-month period.
Certification or Licensure Information:
This course qualifies as an elective in the completion of and the maintenance of the Local Finance Officer Certification Program for local government personnel in the State of Georgia.