Earn a certificate that enhances your value to lawn care management firms.
Study at home at your own pace to master up-to-date turfgrass management practices and procedures.
Principles of Turfgrass Management, a certificate program from the University of Georgia, expands your knowledge and professional growth— whether you are new to the lawn care industry or you have years of experience. The course covers the principles of warm- and cool-season turfgrass establishment, growth, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
By completing the course, you’ll also become Landscape Industry Certified by PLANET, The Professional Landcare Network.
What you will learn:
- Management of turfgrass through heat, cold, and drought stress
- Maintenance of turf under shade
- Improvement of turfgrass wear tolerance
- Treatment of gasoline and oil spills on turf
- Facts about liquid versus granular fertilizer
- Truth about growth enhancers
- Use of water-absorbent polymers for improving soil/water relationships
- Cause and control of thatch
- Importance of proper customer communication
Who Should Attend?
The course is designed for all industry professionals, including those affiliated with
- Lawn care companies
- Golf courses
- Public parks and recreation areas
- School grounds
- Sod production
- Landscape management firms
- Athletic fields
- Pest control companies
- Other public and private turf facilities
Enroll anytime. You have up to 12 months from your initial enrollment date to complete the course. A six-month extension can be granted for a nominal fee ($50).
PLANET, GCSAA, STMA and AEdG Members, US Military* ... $319
Non-Members ... $379
2-7 from same organization ... $359
8 or more from same organization ... $339
Shipping and handling outside U.S. ... Add $50 per enrollment
Prices are subject to change.
*To receive the military discount, you must be
- currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services and have a valid military ID Card.
- a veteran who receives VA benefits and has a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC)
- a veteran who served honorably and who presents a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service.
You may fax your proof-of-service to (706)583-0180 or mail a copy to:
Georgia Center for Continuing Education
Professional and Personal Development
1197 S. Lumpkin Street
Athens, GA 30602-3603
This course is complete, and includes one attempt at each of two proctored exams. Students are responsible for locating a suitable facility and scheduling the exams. Students are responsible for paying any fees assessed by testing centers/proctors.
If the student does not successfully complete the exam on the first attempt he/she may attempt the exam up to two more times. There will be an exam retake fee of $30 for each exam attempt after the first.
If a student is unable to complete the course within the twelve months allotted time, he/she may file for a six-month extension for a fee of $50.
If for any reason you need to cancel or reschedule your participation in Principles of Turfgrass Management, please contact us at student [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu or 706-542-3537 within 7 days of receiving your course materials. We will issue a refund (minus a $50 administrative fee) once we receive your returned materials.
Students successfully completing all assignments earn 12 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from The University of Georgia, with a transcript available upon request. Students earn the title "Landscape Industry Certified Lawn Care Manager" from PLANET, and receive a certificate, patch, wallet card, and press release indicating their achievement.