Expand your professional growth opportunities in the sports field industry.
Study at home to master up-to-date turfgrass management practices and procedures that are best suited for the sports field industry.
Developed by the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, the Sports Turfgrass Management Certificate course gives you up-to-date information on how to establish and care for sports fields.
Format: Distance (Print-Based)
Hours: 140 hours / 14 CEUs
When: Start anytime
Cost: $319 - $379
What you will learn:
The course covers all the fundamentals of turfgrass management for all types of sports turf, from little league fields to golf courses. The course also explains what grasses work best for different sports and regions.
Upon completion of the course, you will understand the principles of warm- and cool-season turfgrass establishment, growth, maintenance, and troubleshooting. You’ll know the answers to the questions you have about sports turf, such as:
- What turfgrass is best suited for a golf course, a soccer field, or a baseball field in your area?
- How are these grasses established?
- What types of fertilizers should be used, when, and how much should be applied?
- What pests can be expected? How can they be identified and controlled?
Build your industry expertise at home!
You’ll have an easy-to-read, illustrated study guide with color-plates of various weeds, insects, and diseases. The guide leads you through the course and also provides timely information on special concerns like pesticide safety, integrated pest management, advertising, and customer relations. The study guide is also a great reference tool after you've completed the course.
Who Should Attend?
The course is designed for all industry professionals, including those affiliated with
- Athletic fields
- Golf courses
- Public parks and recreation areas
- School grounds
- Pest control companies
- Anyone wanting to learn more about managing sports turf
Enroll anytime. You have up to 12 months from your initial enrollment date to complete the course. A six-month extension can be granted for a nominal fee ($50).
$319 — STMA Members
$379 — Non-Members
$359 — 2-7 from same organization
$339 — 8 or more from same organization
Add $50 per enrollment — Shipping and handling outside U.S.
(payable in U.S. dollars; association membership will be verified)
Prices are subject to change.
This course is complete, and includes one attempt at each of two proctored exams. Students are responsible for locating a suitable facility and scheduling the exams. Students are also responsible for paying any fees assessed by testing centers/proctors.
If the student does not successfully complete the exam on the first attempt he/she may attempt the exam up to two more times. There will be an administrative fee of $30 for each exam attempt after the first.
If a student is unable to complete the course within the twelve months allotted time, he/she may file for a six-month extension for a fee of $50.
If for any reason you need to cancel or reschedule your participation in Sports Turfgrass Management, please contact us at student [at] georgiacenter [dot] uga [dot] edu or 706-542-3537 within 7 days of receiving your course materials. We will issue a refund (minus a $50 administrative fee) once we receive your returned materials.
- STMA awards 1 education point for anyone seeking to become a Certified Sports Field Manager (CSFM); CSFM's earn 1.5 CEUs upon completion of this program.
- Students successfully completing all assignments earn 14 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from The University of Georgia, with a transcript available upon request. Graduates also receive a Certificate of Program Completion from The University of Georgia.