Enhance your career! Become a Spanish/English legal interpreter.
The Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate is a 36-hour training program for bilingual individuals who speak English and Spanish and work in the legal field or in a court system. This program prepares you for the State Court Interpretation Certification Test so you can assist Spanish-speaking people communicate during court proceedings.
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Legal interpreting terminology in English and Spanish
- Spanish/English linguistics skills
- Analysis of the legal environment and issues regarding Latinos/Hispanics
- Development of integrated interpreter skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of the Latino/Hispanic community.
Job Outlook: According to the U.S. Department of Labor, interpreters and translations can expect much faster than average employment growth over the next decade due to the increase in the number of foreign language speakers in the United States and the broadening of international ties.
State Court Interpretation Certification Test: For more information on test time, fees, and requirements, please visit the Georgia Commission on Interpreters web page.
Please note that the State Court Interpretation Certification Test is a separate process, time and fee. The University of Georgia Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate is a preparatory program only.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who are interested in taking the State Court Interpretation Certification Test to become a Certified Interpreter with the State of Georgia
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program or the Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate Program
- Individuals seeking employment in the legal field or in court systems
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (September 24 and October 1, 2016)
$849 (Fee includes all course materials)
Students will be awarded a Certificate of Program Completion for 3.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing the course.
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements:
To receive the Certificate of Program Completion the following is required:
- Attendance at all 5 classes.
- Timely and successful completion of written and oral assignments.
- Receive a final score of 70% or better on the post-test.
Note: A college level language proficiency in both English and Spanish is strongly recommended for those seeking to take the course