According to the U.S. Department of Labor, interpreters and translators can expect much faster than average employment growth over the next decade. The University of Georgia’s Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate expands career choices for bilingual individuals proficient in Spanish and English.
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Healthcare interpreting terminology in English and Spanish
- Spanish/English linguistics skills
- Analysis of the healthcare provider environment and issues regarding Latino/Hispanic healthcare
- Development of integrated interpreter skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of Latino/Hispanic healthcare
- Medical Interpreting Standards of Practice
Professional Development Benefits
Gain your 40-hour training requirement to work as a medical interpreter.
According to the Joint Commission, an accredited hospital must have language interpreters who are qualified through language proficiency assessment, education, training, or experience. The National Council on Interpretation in Health Care recommends a minimum of 40 hours training for medical interpreters. This course satisfies those requirements.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for adults and will include medically explicit discussion of topics that are of an adult nature, including but not limited to body parts and bodily functions, sexually transmitted diseases, etc.
The course will be valuable to:
- Nurses, physicians, pharmacists, front office staff, receptionists, dieticians, laboratory technicians, social workers, etc. who are bilingual in English and Spanish
- Interpreters and translators who are entering or currently employed in the medical field or healthcare settings, such as hospitals, physicians' offices, pharmacies, rehabilitation clinics, etc.
- Individuals seeking employment in the medical field or in a healthcare setting
- Individuals seeking their first professional interpreting certificate
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
University of Georgia Gwinnett Campus
2530 Sever Rd NW, Lawrenceville, GA 30043
See map: Google Maps
$949 (includes course materials)
Students will be awarded a Certificate of Program Completion for 4.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon completion of 40 hours of course work.
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements:
- Timely and successful completion of written and oral assignments is required. To receive your Certificate of Completion, your attendance is also required for all sessions, and you must have a score of 70% or better for the final written and oral examinations.
- You must be fluent in both English and Spanish to enroll. Should you not meet the language requirement, no refund of previously paid course fee will be given.
Military Funding Information:
The Spanish/English Medical Interpreter course has been approved by the Department of Veterans Services to receive GI Bill funding. Spouses of active duty military members that are eligible for MYCAA and active duty military members that are eligible for Air Force TA and Army TA may contact their education service officer to apply for course approval. For more information regarding military funding for this course, visit our Financial and Military Assistance page or contact our office at 706-542-3537.