Enhance your career in healthcare! Become a certified Spanish/English medical interpreter.
The University of Georgia's Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate expands career choices for bilingual individuals proficient in Spanish and English who work in medical or healthcare fields. The program is also ideal for those seeking employment in these fast-growing fields or those seeking their first professional interpreting certificate.
The Spanish/English Medical Interpreter Certificate Program covers:
- Ethics of Interpreting
- Healthcare interpreting terminology in English and Spanish
- Spanish/English linguistics skills
- Analysis of the healthcare provider environment and issues regarding Latino/Hispanic healthcare
- Development of integrated interpreter skills
- Understanding the cultural aspects of Latino/Hispanic healthcare
Becoming a professional interpreter is a learned and skill-based process. This 40-hour classroom training program equips you to serve as professional medical interpreter. The program prepares you with the theoretic, linguistic and procedural backgrounds necessary to comply with the Medical Interpreting Standards of Practice.
Job Outlook: Professional interpreters have stronger-than-average employment opportunities. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, interpreters and translators can expect much faster than average employment growth over the next decade due to the increase in the number of foreign language speakers in the United States and the broadening of international ties.
Who Should Attend?
- Nurses, physicians, pharmacists, front office staff, receptionists, dieticians, laboratory technicians, social workers, etc. who are bilingual in English and Spanish
- Interpreters and translators who are entering or currently employed in the medical field or healthcare settings, such as hospitals, physicians' offices, pharmacies, rehabilitation clinics, etc.
- Independent interpreters
- Interpreters with other interpreting credentials, such as those who have completed the Spanish/English Legal Interpreter Certificate Program or the Professional Interpreter in Education Certificate Program
- Individuals seeking employment in the medical field or in a healthcare setting
- Individuals seeking their first professional interpreting certificate
- 4.0 CEUs
- Certificate of Program Completion
- Timely completion of assignments is required including the successful completion of written and oral assignments. To receive your Certificate of Completion, your attendance is required at all five sessions, and you must have a score of 70% or better for the final written and oral examination.
Military Funding Information:
The Spanish/English Medical Interpreter course has been approved by the Department of Veterans Services to receive GI Bill funding. Spouses of active duty military members that are eligible for MYCAA and active duty military members that are eligible for Air Force TA and Army TA may contact their education service officer to apply for course approval. For more information regarding military funding for this course, visit our Financial and Military Assistance page or contact our office at 706-542-3537.